Friday, August 27, 2010

Salad/Zalad...whatever you call it-I just call it yummy

It's been a while since I posted about what I'm cooking, so I figured now would be a good time. The truth is, I haven't been cooking nearly as much as I should. Zaxby's salads (or "zalads" lol) are so easy when I don't feel like cooking. I don't eat the bread that comes with it, nor do I get their cheese on it (and I always choose grilled chicken!). I am guilty of not leaving the fried onions off, but as few as they put on it I don't really see the harm in it. I usually opt to use my own fat-free Ranch dressing, but when I don't have it handy, I get their light Ranch and only use one packet. That's been my go-t0 meal at least 2 or 3 times a week here lately. The salads at Chick-fil-a are pretty awesome as well, and their grape tomatoes taste a million times better than the few slices of regular tomatoes Zaxby's puts on theirs. Plus, CFA has this amazing fat-free honey mustard dressing...I find myself wanting to lick the bowl after I'm done (I refrain from doing so, however). I've been making salads at home a lot this week, though, because we got a huge container of baby salad greens from Kroger (ugh) for only about $5. Between my mom and I, we've barely made a dent in it, so I plan on picking the baby spinach out of it tomorrow morning and using it in a frittata, along with some caramelized onions and sharp cheddar cheese.

One indulgence I've discovered is fat-free Cool Whip mixed with butterscotch ice cream topping. The ff Cool Whip only has about 20 calories per serving (I'm thinking it was 2 Tbsp.), and the butterscotch has around 110 (brands vary greatly, so read labels!), so mixed together, they make for a fairly low-cal dessert that's pretty decadent and rich. Not quite as satisfying as chocolate, but me and chocolate are on a break right now, with one exception-Nature Valley has these new Granola Thins. Basically it's a thin square of granola with dark chocolate on one side, and at only 80 calories, it's hardly a splurge. I could go on and on about how amazing they are, but I'll just say you need to check them out if you like granola and dark chocolate (they also have a peanut butter version that's pretty good as well!). Another yummy dessert is a s'more made with 1 Granola Thin and 1 large toasted marshmallow. I made those last night, and all I can say is, you need to try it for yourself!:)

I had been kind of down lately because the weight hasn't been coming off. Mother Nature tortured me last week (and part of this week), but I exercised pretty regularly and watched what I ate more closely...and lo and behold, 2 lbs. are gone! That totally made my whole week! I'm off to try a new recipe-baked chicken strips coated with Frank's Buffalo Hot Sauce...and while I'm at it, I might just crack open a beer to celebrate!

No comments:

Post a Comment