Thursday, July 8, 2010

Hard-earned, but oh so sweet

For the all the self-loathing I did in the last post, this one should a relatively positive one! I got on the scales this morning, and not only did I lose the weight I had gained over the holidays, I'm down another lb. for a total of 27lbs. lost! I have worked out 3 days in a row (go me!), and have been sticking to a pretty sensible diet. Breakfast is the easy part for me; I'll eat a low-fat Pop Tart, a VitaTop (those things are seriously amazing! Chocolate for breakfast + only 100 calories=heavenly!), or occasionally a whole-wheat scone. I used to ALWAYS have to have some form of protein for breakfast, and that usually was something stuffed inside a biscuit from Chick-fil-a or the Bread Basket. I really thought I would miss those things, but in all honesty, I don't. I've had one Chick-fil-a chicken biscuit since April, and it really wasn't as great as I remembered it. Lunch and dinner are pretty interchangeable to me. I don't eat "better" at one than I do the other, unless I totally splurge at lunch. Sometimes I'll eat a salad from Zaxby's (House, grilled chicken, no cheese or fried onions, toss the bread, and I use my own fat-free ranch dressing) or have a pre-packaged meal from Lean Cuisine or Healthy Choice; other times I'll eat leftovers from the night before. Since I live with my mother, I am usually cooking for 2 versus just myself, so it's a lot easier to prepare something more elaborate. Last night, for example, I made an awesome (yes, I'm bragging on myself, because it WAS!) turkey meatloaf, steamed cauliflower, and fried okra. Yeah, I said it-FRIED. However, I used just enough oil (vegetable oil, because 1-we had it on hand, and 2-I don't like the taste of olive oil on certain foods) to barely coat the pan...maybe 1 tsp. I lightly breaded the okra with whole-wheat flour (my new favorite food find!), and pan-fried it until slightly browned. My mom love love loves okra, so she was ecstatic to have that again. I guess the point of all this is to say that I can eat pretty much whatever I want, but with modifications. I still get to have sweets (dessert last night was strawberries and light Reddi-Whip!), but I eat smarter. At the suggestion of a really sweet person (Thanks KW!), I am now soft drink free during the week. I thought I'd miss them, but I really don't. I'm drinking more and more water (I've always drank it, but not necessarily as much as I should've!), and flushing impurities out of my system. I think I mentioned an awesome low-fat squash-zucchini casserole recipe in my first blog post, and since I'm making it again tonight, I figured I'd share it here (I'm also going to attempt a low-fat blackberry cobbler, so I'll post the results of that soon!). Let me know if you make it and love/hate it!

Low-fat Squash-Zucchini Casserole

2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-1/2 inch rounds
2 medium/3-4 small squash, cut into 1/4-1/2 inch rounds
1/2 cup chopped Vidalia (or other sweet) onion
Cooking spray/spray "butter'' (I use the kind by Parkay)
1/2 cup Greek yogurt OR fat-free sour cream (can use a little more to reach desired level of creaminess, but that's the amount I prefer)
1/4 cup reduced fat Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup 2% sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 sleeve Whole-wheat Ritz crackers, crushed and sprayed with cooking spray or spray "butter"
Salt/pepper, to taste

Saute zucchini, squash, and onion in a pan coated with cooking spray/butter until really soft, but not completely mushy. Stir in Greek yogurt or fat-free sour cream, Parmesan cheese, cheddar cheese, salt and pepper, and then place in a casserole dish that has been coated with cooking spray. Top with crushed Ritz crackers and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes, or until Ritz crackers are browned and casserole is bubbly.(note: oven times/temperatures may vary, so you might have to cook a little longer!). This recipe will serve 4 (or 2 huge portions, but I'm not advocating that!). Happy Healthy Eating!

3 comments:

  1. First, yay for limiting the soda intake :) Hope it assists with some additional weight loss!
    Second, thanks for the recipe for the squash casserole! Squash is in season and I'd LOVE to try it. It's great because you can use any variety of squash. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just an FYI, the grilled garden salad from Chick-Fil-A with light Italian dressing is only like, 125 calories. Working at the mall, I don't have a lot of choices, and when I still ate meat that was my usual. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristin, that's what we normally do-just buy whatever is available at the farmer's market! Hope you like it!:)

    Lindsey, thanks for telling me about Chick-fil-a's salads! I haven't had them in years-probably because those nuggets tasted too good!

    ReplyDelete